The Divine Butler is the title of the fifth episode from season three of The Way of the Master.
The Intro to this program shows Ray and Kirk asking several questions in line with the are you a good person? routine.
- Ray "The United States of America. God shed his grace on thee. There has never been a nation like it. One founded on Biblical principles, built by men and women who honored the God of the Bible to create."
WOTM then quotes several American heroes and Presidents.
- "It cannot be emphasized too clearly and too often that this nation was founded not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religion, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom to worship here." - Patrick Henry, May 1765 Speech to the House of Burgess.
- "The general principles upon which the fathers achieved independence were the general principles of Christianity...I will avow that I believe and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God." - John Adams (no source given).
- "It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible." - George Washington (no source given).
- "This book is the best gift God gave to man." - Abraham Lincoln (no source given, but WOTM says "Lincoln believed that the Bible led him to write the Emancipation Proclamation in 1861.")
- "We have been assured in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain to build it. I firmly believe this. I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel." - Benjamin Franklin (Constitutional Convention of 1787).
- Ray "America has been a land flowing with milk and honey. It's been the envy of the world. It's been rich in abundance, food and prosperity. America has, by anyone's definition, been blessed by God."
Jump to Ray interviewing several people. He ask them if they think God has blessed America.
- Kirk "History attests to the fact when America honored God, it was abundantly blessed by God. But lets look at our more recent history. Think back to 9/11 when our enemies killed 3,000 of our people. Where was God's blessing when that happened? Or think of the thousands killed by tornadoes, the hurricanes that at times line up by our shores in such numbers we have run out of names to give them. The nonstop floods and droughts and the onslaught of cancer increasing so rapidly. Why are these things happening in America?"
- Dr. D. James Kennedy (Founder, Coral Ridge Ministries) "When I say that God has removed his hand from this country, I think there are some evidences of that and we have seen them in a number of disastrous things, catastrophic things has happen such as Katrina, such as 9/11, such as the continuing war on terrorism and our country, and um such ways as this we see that God appears to be removing his hand of protection from this country."
- Kirk "The thought that God could be responsible for the hurricanes, the disease and the floods is unthinkable to us. And yet that is exactly what god promised he would do to nations that fail to honor and obey him. Did you catch that? In the Scriptures, he said that He would cause these things to happen. We have to ask ourselves the question, who is in charge of the weather department anyway? And why is our country plagued with so much disease and suffering?"
Comparing America to Israel
- Ray "We get a clue about why America is having trouble by looking at the history of Israel. The nation of Israel started out with God's blessing. God had promised the nation that if they honored and obeyed him, they would have a land flowing with milk and honey. He blessed them with good health and prosperity. He blessed their crops, cattle and sheep, the newborn children, the weather and economy. He also promised to defeat their enemies. But he warned that if they disobeyed him, they would lose those blessings. They would instead be plagued with terrible diseases, suffer boils and drought, irrational fear, insanity and blindness. The crops would be inundated with disease, their children would be born unhealthy, marriages will fall apart and the nation would fall into debt. But also warned that enemies would over take them and scatter them throughout the nations. All this would happen if they refused to serve and fear the God that had blessed them with abundance. The Bible often speaks of God dealing with sinful nations, such as Lebanon, Egypt and many others. Psalm 22 says that God is the ruler over nations. The Book of Job says he makes nations great and destroys them, he larges nations and guides them."
- David Barton "The Bible is timeless, therefor the Bible is written for the past and the present. Just as we know that salvation is not only for the time that it was given 2,000 years ago, but also for today. Same is the truth of nations. The Bible used individuals and nations then, it uses individuals and nations now. The Bible tells us that whatever nation honors God, God will honor that nation. That was not for then, that was for then and now. The Bible also tells us that righteousness and blesses was not just for then, but also for now. The Bible says that blesses was God's glory, that applies today just as it applies in every generation, so the Bible is timeless on the principles of nations."
- Kirk "Lets look again at that list of plagues that God warned would come upon Israel if they turned their backs on him and then compare that to what is happening to us."
1) Incurable Disease
If you suspect there has been an increase in cancerous diseases in America, you're right. Each year in the U.S. there are more 189,000 new cases of prostate cancer and 200,000 new cases of breast cancer. Over 2,300,000 Americans will get cancer in the next year, many of them will be children. Why the increase? No one knows for sure. Cancer is not our only dilemma, back in 2005 health care spending in the United States reached two trillion, that's $700 per person, more than 8 times the $246,000,000 spent in 1980. We have become a very sick nation, and we are getting sicker.
2) Toxic Mold
"Toxic Mold has become a very serious concern throughout the U.S. Recently, 50,000 new insurance claims involving mold were made in Texas alone. The increases related to mold diseases is being called an epidemic national health crisis."
"ABC news recently published an article titled "More than 60% of the U.S. in drought." As a direct result of drought, forest fires in the U.S. have increased. Why are we having all the catastrophes that are often referred to by the secular media as being 'of biblical proportions'?"
4) Mental Disorders and Blindness
"According to the National Mental Health Association, 54 million Americans have mental disorders. Suicide rates are skyrocketing. 4 million Americans have Alzheimer's disease. 10 million are blind or partially blind - 55,000 of those are children."
5) Cattle Disease
"The U.S.D.A's animal health monitoring system estimated a $200-$250 million loss to the dairy industry alone because of disease. Again, no one can put their finger on why these things are happening."
6) Childbirth would not be blessed
"Today in America, 1 in 5 pregnancies end in miscarriage. That is 800,000 children die in the womb before they are born. And that is not including abortions."
7) National Debt
In the United States of America, our national debt is currently more than nine trillion dollars. In case you did not know, a trillion is a thousand billion.
8) Failed marriages
(The narrator, not Kirk, reports this one) The National Center for Health Statistics recently released a report which found that 43 percent of first marriages end in separation or divorce.
9) Illegal Aliens
There are as currently 20 million illegal aliens in America.
10) Victory for Enemies
We have so many enemies in the world, from Al Qaeda to Iraq to Iran to North Korea. If we want God to protect us, we must do that which is pleasing in his sight."
- Dr. Tony Evans (President, Urban Alternative) "When you have a world view that starts with God, as even our nation states 'One nation under god', we use it in terminology, but we don't want to use it in reality. To be under God means He sits as sovereign over our decisions. We want God for invocations and better dictions, we want him as bread but not the meat in between, and he is insulted by that. He wants to be the context by which decisions are made and choices are made that he can be involved in bringing the result we are all looking for. When 9/11 hit, everybody wanted God, everybody went back to church as all of the sudden we face the problem we could not fix. When things died down and when people went back to business as usual, that is why we cannot resolve these problems. God stays insulted and it is kinda hard to get along with somebody who is insulting you all the time. This is also true in our personal lives, in our personal choices if we do not fear God and respect God, then ah, it is like a police man pulled you over and if you dishonor him, you asked for more trouble than you have asked for mercy and help because you were wrong, you asked for a ticket in jail."
Is America a "good nation?"
- Ray "Lets examine ourselves as a nation in the light of god's law - the Ten Commandments - and see if we are going that which is pleasing in his sight." (while playing slow and sorrow filled wind instrument music)
1) You Shall Not Kill "According to the F.B.I., approximately 18,000 people are murdered each year in the U.S. There are a total of 200,000 murders during the 1990's, over 100,000 of those murders were never brought to justice. America kills over 100,000 children through abortion every month. Since the legalization of abortion in 1973, more than 52 million babies have been aborted."
2) You Shall Not Commit Adultery "The U.S. Today reported that 50-60% of married couples admit to adultery. Premarital sex is practiced by more than 75% of women and more than 80% of men by the age of 19. 45 million people are infected with a virus that causes genital herpes. 33% of all births are under unmarried women. Americans spend up to 13 billion dollars every year on pornography - this concedes the gross income of ABC, CBS and NBC."
3) You Shall Not Steal "Theft costs our country 500 billion each year. The F.B.I. reported there are more than 1.2 million motor vehicle thefts in the United States in one year. Every year, approximately 13 million people are victims of crime with 1.5 million are those of being victims of violent crime."
4) You Shall Not Lie "The Banner Research group found 62% of Americans profess to being Christians, while 91% of them confess to to lying regularly."
5) You Shall Not Covet "Americans now visit casinos more often then they attend professional sporting events. And their lust for more money, they lose an excess of 50 billion dollars each year to lotteries, horse and dog tracks, casinos, and various other gambling venues - all because of greed."
- Ray "We also violate the first, second, third, and fourth of the Ten Commandments with continual blaspheme. Our idolatry - that is creating a god in our minds we are more comfortable with in a form of godliness. Many political leaders profess to loving God and stand for things that are repulsive and detestable to him. Our churches have priests that have been proven to be pedophiles and so-called preachers who care of nothing but money (something the Bible condemns). Add to that, that America has over 680,000 rapes each year and spends over 400 billion dollars a year on alcohol and drug related problems, and we can see as a nation we are not doing to well morally."
- Dr. Tony Evans "You know, in 2 Chronicles 15:3-6 it comes clear that there is a direct correlation between the social well-being of the people and the spiritual well-being of the people. That passage indicates that as people, we are not in touch with God, chaos broke out in society. I think that directly relates with our nation today. Because God has been marginalized and dismissed to the periphery of the culture. We are seeing chaos erupt in the culture on every level; personal, family, in community, and now nationally and internationally. In fact, that passage says nation rose up against nation, so whether it is the 9/11 issue, or terrorism, all of that is tied to America's lack of relationship with God. And if god is your problem, ONLY God is your solution. So until the spiritual and theological gets right, the social will always be chaotic."
Americas relationship with God
- Kirk "Are you concerned as much as I am about America? We love this country, we love its people, its terrible to see what is happening. Did your heart break at the moral filth that is being pumped into the minds of our children? And they are being told that it is normal and okay? Does it grieve you to see diseases, like cancer and others, spreading across our country? Is there any real hope for America? Is there anything we can do? The answer is yes. And it is rooted in our relationship as a nation with Almighty God. We are not a nation that is afraid to talk about god."
Cut to a cartoon family browsing through channels that all show people talking about their relationship with God (includes Dr. Phil, Glenn Beck, Georgia prayers to end droughts, medical "miracles", biblical questions on game shows, pastors and congregationalists, Senator John Edwards, several news channels, and such.)
- Kirk, "We have become a nation that says we love God. We draw near to God with our lips, but our hearts are far from him. As evidence by our decay of moral condition."
Back to the cartoon couple, tuning in to a CNN guy on TV talking about America and declining of religiosity leading to Americans downfall. He says that Americans have freedom of religion, as well as the freedom to celebrate materialism and lust. The guys says we love pornography, gambling, drinking, jumping in and out of marriages, mixing trashy life styles (showing a celebrity going down the red carpet). Our money says "in God we Trust" and we sing "God bless America" and the guy concludes with 'God bless us or God hurt us?'
- Kirk, "And still, the thought that we somehow offended God somehow doesn't even enter our minds. Instead we blame all our problems on global warming, global cooling, el ninyo, toxic gases, our enemies, Mother Nature (whoever she is), a hole in the ozone layer, anything but ourselves."
- Ray "Don't be fooled in thinking we can fix things up without God. That all we need to do is vote for the right political party, bring in the right legislation, fix the hole in the ozone layer, eat right and get plenty of exercise. Those things are good, but they won't fix our problem because it is far deeper than that. It HAS to do with our relationship with God. Even if we do eat right and exercise as the experts tell us, we are not guaranteed a long and healthy life. Listen to these tragic words of Jacqueline Kennedy as she lay dying of cancer and said "I don't get it, I did everything right to take care of myself, and look at what happened."
Why Doesn't God help us?
- Ray "Why doesn't God help us when there is a national crisis? Could it be that his holy name is being used as a cuss word in our movies and on television and blaspheme has become part of our culture? Could it be because we threw prayer out of our schools, outlawed the posting of the Ten Commandments in public places, and we have taught our children that they weren't made by God but by an unscientific theory called evolution?"
- Rick Green (former state rep. of Texas) "You know, if you look at the blessings of a nation, sometimes you measure that in terms of finances, maybe you measure that in terms of crime, maybe you measure it in the terms of happiness of the people. Well here we are, the most financially blessed nation in the history of the world. We are probably the most successful nation in the history of the world. We have more freedom than anyone has ever had in history, yet we find things like school shootings. We find things like more and more people are on psychotropic drugs and all these different things where you can see there is a cultural decline in terms of our happiness. We are losing the blessings we have been given over the last century, in terms of finances and everything else, because we have lost the morality that puts all those things into perspective."
- Ray "We can't do such things and click our fingers and expect God to come running like some sort of divine butler. As a nation like Israel of old, we are like an adulteress wife. And there can be no reconciliation without genuine repentance. It is not enough to acknowledge God with our lips but at the same time deny his divine power and authority in our lives. As our creator, God demands total surrender to his will. The first greatest Commandments is to love him with all of our heart, mind, soul, and strength. To fail to do so and at the same time give ourselves to sin is asking for God's judgment. This is something our forefathers knew and proclaimed. Even insurance companies got it right. If there is a tornado, a flood, a drought or a earthquake, they call it "an act of God." "
"In circumstances as dark as these, it becomes us, as Men and Christians, to reflect that whilst every prudent measure should be taken to ward off the impending judgments...at the time all confidence must be withheld from the means we use; and reposed only on that God rules in the armies of Heaven and without His whole blessing, the best human counsels are but foolishness..." - John Hancock (A Day of Fasting, Humiliation and Prayer with a total ____ from labor and reconstruction. Proclamation on April 15, 1775)
"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect God is just, and that His justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson (Excerpts are inscribed on the walls of the Jefferson Memorial in the ____ capitol.)
- Kirk "We are in trouble as a nation, but like we said before, there is a great hope for America and it is found in God - and it is mercy. We are a nation made up of individuals, and when individuals get right with God, then America gets right with God. When America gets right with God, then we can have hope that he will heal our land."
Street interviews: one 2 one
The interview with Ray Comfort and a young Asian lady (with a nice hat) takes place in the middle of the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica. As usual, the interview takes place with Ray taking the lady down the old are you a good person? routine. She starts off by saying no she isn't a good person.
- Ray "If you're a Christian, deliberately rub shoulders with the unsaved so you can share the gospel with them. Many years have insulated ourselves with cozy clicks. We are salt and unsalt, light among light, we live in a monastery without walls, we are as monks and monkesses running around with a vow of silence. We have a glorious gospel to preach, so shout it from the house tops because the time is coming when the doors of Gods grace will close. Listen now to these wise words from Abraham Lincoln."
- "We have been preserved these many years in peace and prosperity. We have grown in numbers, wealth and power as no other nation has ever grown. But we have forgotten God. We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us; and we have vainly imagined, in the deceitfulness of our hearts, that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own." (No source given)
- "Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us!" (No source given).
- "It behooves us then to humble ourselves before the offended Power, to confess our national sins and to pray for clemency and forgiveness." (No source given)
- Kirk "We hope that you have found this program to be eye-opening and inspirational. Please do not wait until tomorrow to get things right with God. And then do what is pleasing in his sight. May God bless you and your family and may God bless America."
WTOM quotes Psalm 33:12 "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord..."
- Dr. D. James Kennedy, "I'm actually optimistic because I see also very positive things happening. I see the number of people being brought to Christ increasing. I see the number of Christians being brought into a relationship with Christ in all different branches of our country." (Scene cut) "So, we are engaged in a football game as it were where there is good and evil - there is a struggle for the heart and soul of America and the decision as to who wins is superbowl is not yet in. But we are going to win!"
Final remarks from Iron Chariots
Throughout this program, it is assumed that America was founded on the Bible. Ray and Kirk not only believe that a country born from the Bible is obliged to God, but all nations should honor God. If a nation fails to honor God, then God (by Ray and Kirk's beliefs) punishes the nation with plagues and suffering.
Ray and Kirk believe that they are doing their country a big favor and service by trying to bring everyone to Christ, they believe in doing so God will solve all our problems. What was never done throughout this program was compare the United States (a highly religious country) with the one of the least religious country on earth. How do secular godless societies fair? Surely God must have severely punished them so much that the United States can't hold a candle to them. So, what are the facts? Are secular nations plagued? Are they bankrupt? Are they happy?
Surprise surprise, they are actually doing very well. By every measure of social health (life expectancy, literacy rates, school enrollment rates, standard of living, infant mortality, child welfare, economic equality, economic competitiveness, gender equality, healthcare, lack of corruption, environmental protection, charity to poor nations, crime, suicide, unemployment) Denmark and Sweden ranked near the top. 20% of their populations believe in God compared to about 80% in America. Most Danes and Swedes don't even believe in the notion of "sin" and yet their violent crime rates are the lowest in the world. Almost nobody reads the Bible or goes to church. A survey of happiness of 91 nations, Denmark ranked number one.
Make no mistake these countries do have problems, but they are freer to consider rational solutions by not having a majority of citizens who rely on ancient fables for primary guidance. Sociologist Phil Zuckerman spent fourteen months during 2005-2006 in Denmark and Sweden interviewing a wide range of people about their religious beliefs. He presented his results in 2008 and among the first things he noticed upon arriving in Aarhus, Denmark: there was no cops. He saw no police cars, no officers patrolling on foot or motorcycle. A grand total of 31 days passed before seeing his first police presence. In 2004 the total number of murders in Aarhus, a bustling metropolis of a quarter million people, was one. That's right, only one.
Clearly belief in God has no affect whatsoever on the prosperity of a nation This is yet another example of Ray Comfort, Kirk Cameron, Way of the Master, and most Christians unable and unwilling to do actual research. Belief in God does not grant any "blessings" and not believing in God does not bring "plagues and suffering." What Ray and Kirk are offering in this program (they say religion is the solution, the rest call it delusion) has no affect on a nation whatsoever. So basically, Ray and Kirk tell us to let their invisible friend to take care of us rather than us taking care of ourselves - and yet the statistics show us that religion only brings negative impacts of the Dark Ages.
In summary, it is best we abandon religion altogether. Religion is clearly not necessary to live happy, provide ethical assistance, or make a country prosper. Instead of religion providing what it actually promises (blessings, happiness and prosperity) rather it gives us a variety of negative impacts that we just do not need.
Copied from Iron Chariots