- the absence of belief in God or gods (deities).
- the belief and rejection of belief that there is a God or gods (deities)
Past and present
In intolerant societies, atheists have been persecuted throughout history, and at times, there were very few atheists. Today there is still extreme intolerance or persecution in some places, examples are the Bible belt in the United States and Fundamentalist Islamic countries.
In advanced countries with modern education, atheism is becoming more popular fast, and people who’ve learnt the Scientific method see there is no reason to believe religion.
- Some European countries, such as Sweden, may have majority population of Atheists or Agnostics.
- In the United Kingdom it appears around 1 in 5 people are atheist or agnostic,
- In the United States 0.5% are strong atheists according to some surveys while 30 million Americans are Atheists arrording to American Atheists. 
Surveys are unreliable as answers depend on how questions are phrased. This article needs more citations.
Why is atheism increasing?
- All Christians have religious doubts, some struggle with doubt, more sensible people see that doubt is reasonable and become former Christians.
Doubt comes from the Devil!Young children and adults of very low intelligence generally have a "simple childlike faith" that Christians think is good. The problems and irrational features found with Christianity are so extreme that typically between the ages of 10 and 15 Christians see there is something wrong. After that remaining a Christian involves a continual struggle to suppress doubt.
- Education standards are rising and the scientific method is being taught more effectively. All this means that believers feel less pressure to suppress doubt and more incentive to investigate reasons for doubt, to follow where the evidence leads. The evidence leads away from belief in any type of Mythology.
You don't need to do anything special to become an atheist or to be an atheist, if you don't believe in God or gods you're already an atheist. Still you may feel like doing something to mark your atheist identity. You can always say to yourself or to friends who respect your atheism something like the following.
I no longer believe in God/I've never believed in God (whichever is appropriate) and I resolve to base my beliefs on what the Scientific method demonstrates is true.Not all atheists are Humanists but if you personally accept humanism you can make the following affirmation.
I don't believe in God and I resolve to follow the scientific method together with Humanist morality.All this is of course optional, you can be an atheist and a moral humanist without any formal statement.
Telling your family you're an atheist
If you're from a Christian family and haven't told your family yet please read:
- Youngsters from Christian families who become atheists
- How stereotyping atheists as immoral can do harm, my experience
- American Atheism is rising and Christians don't like it.
- Atheism and social justice
- Atheism and the Internet
- New atheism
- Atheism Wiki, about
- Why do atheists care about religion?
- How to Convert an Atheist Part 1
- How to Convert an Atheist Part 2
- Godless and free by Pat Condell
This song will help you to live life as an atheist, it's entertaining as well. There are two and more versions of this really cool song.
- Godless and free This link has cool pictures of Richard Dawkins.
- Godless and free, the song... "Atheist Anthem?"
Scientology advertisements appear or have appeared on this page. We don't know why Wikia accepts money from that questionable organisation.
Here’s a science fiction story about an alien called Xenu, I didn’t write it, someone called L. Ron Hubbard wrote it. Why is it important? All too often advertisements paid for by Scientology turn up on the Internet and some are obviously Scientology but others talk about Dianetics or just promise you ethical happiness etc without making the source clear. Well Scientology doesn’t look very ethical and many reasonable people say they’re more likely to empty your bank balance and make you less happy and less healthy than before. So if you find advertisements
pretending saying they’ll improve your life and it all looks too good to be true keep away.